Recipe - Healthy Turkey Chili
I posted on my Instagram stories (@lisamateowellness) that I was making this delicious dish and there was an outpouring of requests for the recipe…so here you go!
This is one of my favorite meals to cook, because it’s simple, tasty and ready in about 30 minutes.
1 tbsp olive oil
2 pounds ground turkey
2 cups chopped onion
2 tbsp garlic
1 large cored and chopped red sweet pepper
1 cup chopped celery
1 cored and chopped jalapeno pepper (optional)
1 tbsp oregano
2 bay leaves
3 tbsp chili powder
2 tsp cumin
2 15-oz cans diced tomatoes
1 cup chicken broth
2 15-oz cans red kidney beans
salt & pepper to taste
shredded cheddar cheese or crumbled goat cheese
- Heat the oil in large pot and add the turkey meat. Cook for about 5 minutes, making sure to break up any large lumps.
- Add onions, garlic, red sweet pepper, celery, jalapeno (optional), oregano, bay leaves, chili powder and cumin. Stir and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, chicken broth and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Rinse and drain the beans, then add them to the pot. Stir and cook for another 15 minutes.
- Serve in bowls with optional toppings: cheese, cilantro & lime